Translate

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Ta Va pt.2 (Don’t say that)

I remember having the first of many meetings with an evaluation team to discuss my son. An evaluation team may include the students’ parents or guardian, teacher, assistant teacher, counselor, coach and psychologist. My son’s biggest weakness was his ability to communicate so we started there. I told the “ta va” tale to the group in hopes of positive feedback. However, that’s not what I received. I was told not to encourage made up words like “ta va” because that would hinder him in life. Now of course my plan was NOT to have him use made up words for his entire life! But the fact that he was trying to communicate brought me so much joy. After listening to this group of so called experts on the subject, I remember leaving the meeting feeling like a failure. I also remember thinking to myself why it is that they can offer advice on what NOT to do, but nothing much to say as far as what TO do.

No comments:

Post a Comment